What is it?
The function of player support in a club is responsible for supporting the players physically and emotionally on and off the pitch.
Why is it important?
In order to play to the highest level players must be at their peak mentally and physically.
What does it look like?
Those working in the core activity of Player Support should:
- Ensure all kit and equipment is to standard
- Liaise with the Head Coach to ensure peak performance at all times for all players.
- Work with the NGB to identify best practice in player support
- Attend the club on match days and practice sessions.
- Advise the club of recurrent injuries or problems in player performance.
- Maintain all records relating to players
What skills are needed?
- Specialist qualifications where required by the NGB
- An interest and ability in health science and sport
- Concern for the health and well being of players
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to work well as part of a team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good personal organisational and administrative skills
As you grow think about including more activities such as:
Developing a network of sports professionals to assist in the support of players as in the job descriptions below.