What is it?
The media function at the club is responsible for ensuring that the club receives the widest possible media coverage and promoting good relations between the club and the community.
Why is it important?
The right type of positive media coverage of the club will encourage children, adults and parents to participate in club activities. It also promotes the club to potential partners and sponsors.
What does it look like?
Those working in the core activity of Media should:
- Develop and implement a strategy for media and community relations that will provide a flexible, responsive and creative way of getting information and messages from the club to the media and wider community.
- Ensure good working relationships with all media channels in the area.
- Ensure accurate reporting of club events, fixtures and initiatives.
- Write relevant, accurate media releases.
- Work with other functions to create newsletters and on-line information.
- Liaise with the media at club events and functions.
- Respond to enquiries from the media and wider community for information from the club.
What skills are needed?
- Strong written and spoken communication skills and social media skills
- Confident, positive attitude
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Interest in the media
- Ability to influence and motivate others
As you grow think about including more activities such as:
- Creating a club media strategy, budget and plan for the year ahead
- Working with colleagues to ensure a consistent application of the club’s image in external and internal communications
- Using external media to recruit new volunteers
- Arranging launches, briefings and photo-calls with external media
- Using social media sites to promote the club
- Providing media training for players and club officials