Club Finder

Find Your Nearest Rugby League Club


Webster snatches it for the Tigers

29th of June 2014
Webster snatches it for the Tigers

Jake Webster's last-gasp try for Castleford ruined Rangi Chase's return to the Tigers as they picked up their first win in three games...

Jake Webster's last-gasp try for Castleford ruined Rangi Chase's return to the Tigers as they picked up their first win in three games in the most dramatic fashion possible, beating Salford Red Devils 14-10.

Trailing by two points with seconds left, Cas dug in deep to snap their losing run and cement their position in the top four of First Utility Super League with a superb victory in a thrilling manner.

The wet conditions hardly provided a backdrop for fast, flowing rugby league all game, as neither side got into their rhythm with some slack handling errors.

Salford looked the more dangerous early on though - with the returning England international Chase - who made his name with the Tigers - hogging most of the attacking limelight - as the Red Devils enjoyed the bulk of the possession without finding that killer blow.

Castleford have become renowned for their attacking ruthlessness in 2014, though, and with their first meaningful bit of field position, they managed to take a lead - well against the run of play.

Liam Finn's towering kick was not dealt with by Greg Johnson, which left the prolific Justin Carney with the simplest of takes to put the home side in front. And amazingly, that was the way it would remain at the break. For all their dominance with ball in hand, the Red Devils could not muster any points.

Unfortunately, the trend continued after the break, as defence continued to dominate proceedings on a turgid night in West Yorkshire. Cas went close on a couple of occasions, but after Daryl Clark had created some space out wide with a smart run, Weller Hauraki's pass to Kirk Dixon was way off - summing up the limp attack of both sides in one move.

Niall Evalds - arguably the man warming Kevin Locke's shoes before he arrives from the New Zealand Warriors - provided a spark from absolutely nowhere after 55 minutes, though. He skipped through the home side's line with ease, but again the Red Devils could not support the player making the break, and the chance passed.

With just 20 minutes left, that six-point lead was looking more and more precious by the second, and when Castleford were awarded their sixth penalty of the evening, they could not resist having a go at goal. Marc Sneyd kicked it with comfort - despite the conditions - to nudge Cas' lead out to eight.

However, Salford would eventually bite back with 15 minutes remaining. After Carney spilled the ball carrying it away from defence, the Red Devils pounced when Junior Sa'u went over in the corner to reduce the arrears to four points. With time running out though, Salford needed another score badly.

And low and behold, they got their second score in five minutes when Gareth Hock barged his way over from close range right next to the sticks. That levelled it up at 8-8, but Chase's routine conversion made it 10-8 with 10 minutes left.

However, there was still time - with literally seconds left on the clock - for Cas to nick it. Clark was the architect; he broke down the right before sending Webster over for the game's winning score. Sneyd - on loan from Salford - goaled, but by that point, the hooter had already sounded.

Related Video