Club Finder

Find Your Nearest Rugby League Club


Tigers continue to roar

27th of May 2014
Tigers continue to roar

A stunning second half from Castleford Tigers ensured they picked up their second consecutive win as they saw off a spirited challenge from

A stunning second half from Castleford Tigers ensured they picked up their second consecutive win as they saw off a spirited challenge from Widnes Vikings to move back to third place in the First Utility Super League table with a 34-22 victory.

Leading 12-10 at the break, the Vikings were well in the ascendancy for long periods, but three Cas tries in four second-half minutes proved to be the difference, as Luke Dorn marked his return to the side with a brace of tries.

The lead changed hands four times in a remarkable first half, with the Tigers the first side to strike, as the impressive Marc Sneyd provided a teasing tick for Cas captain Michael Shenton, who pounced on the bouncing ball to nudge the home side in front.

However, Kevin Brown marked his 250th career appearance with a try, as he finished off a great team move to go in under the sticks, with Danny Tickle's conversion making it 6-4 to the Vikings. They were not ahead for long, though, as a controversial score from Jake Webster put Cas into the lead once again - with the Vikings players adamant Dorn had knocked on in the build-up.

That try put Cas in front again, but it would be the Vikings who would lead at the break as the visitors put on another stellar team move, which this time was finished by Stefan Marsh. Tickle nailed his second goal andWidnesled 12-10 at the hooter.

However the scoreline did not stay that way for long, as another error - this time from the Vikings - produced an immediate response from Castleford. The visitors' Jack Owens lost the ball right under their own posts, and prop Scott Wheeldon picked up the loose ball before crashing over to put Cas in front again.

The game then spilled over, as Justin Carney and Paddy Flynn were sent to the sin-bin for their part in a huge brawl, as both wingers traded some serious blows in an explosive moment in the game. And Cas reacted better from that flashpoint, as Dorn danced his way over just two minutes later.

The home side had established a healthy 10-point lead, and that was quickly extended from the resulting kick-off. After Shenton broke away down the left channel, Dorn was on hand to pick up his second try in as many minutes, and put Cas firmly in control.

Although the Vikings were chancing their arm to try and force their way back into the game, they were consistently met by some increasingly resolute defence from the home side - and that would prove pivotal late on, as Cas sealed the victory with a classic hooker's try from Daryl Clark, as he scampered his way under the posts to make it 34-12.

Cameron Phelps hit back with a try five minutes on time to give the Vikings faint hope, before Tom Gilmore struck a minute later to get the Widnes fans believing, but they were just mere consolations for the Vikings.Tiga

Related Video