Club Finder

Find Your Nearest Rugby League Club


Rovers claim the bragging rights at #magicweekend

17th of May 2014
Rovers claim the bragging rights at #magicweekend

The two sides of Hull collided in a typically tough derby at #magicweekend but it was KR who came away the victors...

Hull Kingston Rovers 38, Hull FC 24

By Lewis Firth

Hull Kingston Rovers recorded a pulsating 38-24 victory over rivals Hull FC at Magic Weekend to take full advantage of opponents who were reduced to 12 men by the 48th-minute dismissal of Jason Crookes for a high tackle.

The match exploded into life in the 11th minute as Hull KR put together a flowing passing move which finished up with Ben Cockayne putting Liam Salter in in the right hand corner. Travis Burns added the conversion.

Josh Hodgson made a blistering run from dummy-half in the 19th minute as Rovers forced a drop-out, but they couldn’t immediately make it count. However just two minutes later Kevin Larroyer broke a weak Hull FC tackle and forced his way over the line for  Burns to land his second goal.

Things threatened to get out of hand for Hull FC as Salter went in for his second try in the 23rd minute. Kris Keating looked to be wrapped up but somehow managed to offload to centre Salter, for Burns to again add the two points to make it 18-0.

Hull FC struck back less than five minutes later, when Dean Hadley hit a gap perfectly from Joe Westerman’s pass and Jacob Miller converted to make the score 18-6.  And they were back within reach just before the interval, as full-back Jamie Shaul went over and Miller converted in the last action of the half.

Less than five minutes after the re-start Rovers extended their lead with a penalty by Burns after Fetuli Talanoa felled Graeme Horne.

Crookes then hit Horne with another high shot in the 48th minute but this time referee Richard Silverwood produced the red card.

That seemed to have spelled the end of Hull FC’s, especially when Burns and Horne linked up to put Ade Gardner over in the corner shortly afterwards, but they rattled their neighbours with a stirring comeback.

Hooker Danny Houghton forced his way through, despite his side having only 11 men on the pitch at the time as Shaul lay injured at the opposite end. Miller converted and five minutes later Hull FC had brought the deficit back to just two points. Iafeta Palea’aesina defied three would-be tacklers to power over and once again leave a magical Hull derby on a knife-edge.

For 10 minutes the teams took turns to have a go at each other’s try lines and the match could have gone either way until Burns, Horne and Gardner linked up again for Gardner to score in the corner.

Burns kicked his sixth goal and added another following the last try of the match from Hodgson, who crashed over with just two minutes remaining.

Hull Kingston Rovers

2 Ben Cockayne

5 David Hodgson

3 Kris Welham

18 Liam Salter

32 Ade Gardner

6 Travis Burns

7 Kris Keating

16 Jason Netherton

9 Josh Hodgson

10 Michael Weyman

11 Kevin Larroyer

15 Graeme Horne

12 Neville Costigan


23 James Green

22 Rhys Lovegrove

13 Jamie Langley

17 Jon Walker

Hull FC

20 Jamie Shaul

27 Liam Colbon

34 Fetuli Talanoa

4 Kirk Yeaman

2 Jason Crookes

32 Jordan Rankin

7 Jacob Miller

8 Mickey Paea

9 Danny Houghton

17 Liam Watts

11 Gareth Ellis

21 Dean Hadley

13 Joe Westerman


33 Aaron Heremaia

26 Iafeta Palea’aesina

22 Josh Bowden

35 Garreth Carvell

Referee: Richard Silverwood

Hull KR 38 (Tries: Salter (11, 23) Larroyer (21) Gardner (51, 71) Hodgson (79); Goals: Burns 7), Hull FC 22 (Tries: Hadley (26) Shaul (39) Houghton (55) Paleaaesina (60); Goals: Miller 4)

Related Video