Club Finder

Find Your Nearest Rugby League Club


Hull Kingston Rovers 24-28 Warrington Wolves

6th of April 2014
Hull Kingston Rovers 24-28 Warrington Wolves

Official Match Report

Cup kings Warrington sneak through

Warrington continued their fine recent record in the Tetley's Challenge Cup with a thrilling 28-24 win at Hull KR.

Ryan Atkins touched down for a double as the Wolves, winners of this competition in three of the past five seasons, recovered to win after conceding the first two tries of the match.

Converted scores for Ben Cockayne and Adam Walker fired the Robins into a 12-0 lead and left Warrington with an uphill task.

Tries from Atkins and Joel Monaghan before the break helped reduce the margin to 14-10 at halfway, before Rhys Evans and Ade Gardner traded scores early in the second period.

Atkins' second on 62 minute, though, put Warrington ahead for good and Roy Asotasi followed him over to open up a 10-point gap.

Omari Caro crashed over with four minutes left to set up a tense finale, but Warrington held on to ensure their place in the fifth round.

Hull KR profited on some generosity from Warrington to open the scoring in the 14th minute when Wolves were adjudged to have knocked on attempting to make a tackle.

From the following set, Cockayne took the low option to dive over the line for the first try of the game. Travis Burns converted for a 6-0 lead.

Rovers were then rewarded for declining the two points on offer for a 19th-minute penalty and instead run the ball. Walker's try from Josh Hodgson's pass meant it was the right choice and Burns was again on target to make it 12-0.

Warrington's response was immediate thanks to a short, well-worked restart.

The ball landed in Richie Myler's hands and his break had Rovers on the back foot. Myler then kicked later in the set and Atkins grounded to get the Wolves going. Chris Bridge reduced the arrears further with the conversion.

Burns extended Rovers' lead landing a penalty after Stefan Ratchford kicked a goal-line drop out directly into touch.

Trailing 14-6, Warrington searched for the try that would make the second half slightly easier with the wind behind them.

The score they wanted arrived in the 35th minute. A flowing move down the middle was finished off in the right-hand corner by Monaghan after the ball had gone through several pairs of Warrington hands. Bridge's conversion was blown off target by the wind, but Warrington turned around only four points behind.

That Rovers advantage was wiped out within two minutes of the second half.

Cockayne's fumble gifted Warrington a short field to attack and they duly scored when Myler sent Evans over. Bridge's conversion gave the Wolves a 16-14 lead.

Back came the Robins to regain their lead in the 53rd minute.

Cockayne's quick thinking released Gardner to score in the left-hand corner. Burns struggled with the conversion into the wind, but the home side led 18-16.

Atkins scored a carbon copy of his first try when he reacted quicker than the Rovers defence to ground another Myler kick through. It was the killer blow as far as Rovers were concerned as Bridge also converted.

Prop Asotasi wrapped up the win when he went over and Bridge completed a match haul of eight points with the boot.

A late consolation try from Caro gave Rovers late hope, but Burns' error on his own 35-metre line sealed Rovers' fate.

Related Video