Club Finder

Find Your Nearest Rugby League Club


Wakefield run wild in London

16th of March 2014
Wakefield run wild in London

Mathers grabs 4 and the Wildcats run in nine tries against the Broncos at The Hive....

Richard Mathers grabbed four tries as Wakefield Trinity Wildcats continued their good First Utility Super League form by thumping London Broncos 50-22 in the capital.

Mathers struck twice in each half as the Wildcats made it back-to-back wins with a confident display, running in nine tries to sentence the Londoners to a fifth straight defeat.

For the hosts, scrum-half Josh Drinkwater returned from a hamstring injury, while new signing Atelea Vea took his place on the replacements bench.

The Wildcats recalled Dean Collis following his suspension, with prop Scott Anderson back in the line-up after a knee injury.

Wakefield, fresh from destroying Catalan Dragons a week ago, started the brighter and took the lead in the seventh minute, Mathers finishing after Pita Godinet was held just short.

Within two minutes Mathers added his second, the full-back romping home after Taulima Tautai broke through the Broncos defence.

The Londoners were simply not at the races, being caught out by a 40-20 kick from Paul McShane moments later, with only a try-saving tackle from Denny Solomona stopping Peter Fox creeping in at the corner.

They succeeded in slowing the tempo of the game but offered precious little in terms of attack.

The Broncos did come close on 22 minutes though, Solomona adjudged to have gone into touch as he dived to score.

The Londoners got on the board two minutes later, Thomas Minns finishing after Scott Moore and James Cunningham combined well.

But the Wildcats almost instantly eased 12 points clear once again, Jarrod Sammut seizing on a loose ball to stride clear unopposed.

Wakefield were in the ascendancy once more, Collis running in their fourth try just after the half hour when he rounded off good work from Godinet.

It was far too easy for the visitors, Reece Lyne the next to score when he took an offload from Ali Lauitiiti to race home.

Paul Sykes appeared off the bench for the visitors to open the second half, making his 300th appearance in the process.

But it was Mathers grabbing the headlines, shrugging off some woeful tackles to bundle over the line and complete his hat-trick after 48 minutes.

The Wildcats eased off after that, seemingly content to sit on their lead and take a breather.

It offered the Broncos the chance to conjure up their second score, Solomona finishing neatly after Ben Farrar took out the Wakefield defence with a looping pass.

Vea then spilled with the line at his mercy shortly afterwards as London finally showed some appetite for the contest.

Normal service was resumed in the 65th minute though, Collis adding his second as he bounced off a series of would-be tacklers to crash over at the posts.

Five minutes later Solomona showed his finishing instincts once again when he crossed after good handling from Farrar and Mason Caton-Brown.

There was still time for Wakefield to chalk up their eighth try, Godinet pouncing on another loose ball to stroll over.

London skipper Matt Cook then muscled his way over after a Cunningham pass with five minutes to play, but Mathers had the final word when he shrugged off more poor tackling to surge over from close range.

Related Video