What is it?
The management of the club is about the responsibility for the smooth running of the club. Management provides the club with strong leadership and gives direction to the club’s members.
Why is it important?
There has to a coherent strategy to the club’s activities and finances and that strategy comes from the management team.
What does it look like?
Those working in the core activity of management should:
- Create a strategic overview of the club’s direction, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Provide leadership and encourage focused discussion at meetings.
- Ensure that the management of the club remains positive and progressive and that the aims and objectives of the club are respected and observed.
- Manage and chair meetings in an unbiased and effective manner and ensure that meetings are held according to the club’s constitution.
- Ensure that responsibilities delegated to others are communicated, understood and followed through.
- Ensure that safeguarding controls and systems are in place in the club.
- Ensure that all club members respect and abide by the club rules and be involved in any disciplinary action.
What skills are needed?
- Strong independent judgement skills
- Planning and time management skills
- Ability to deal with conflict and encourage harmonious decision making
- Ability to work as one of a team
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strong communication skills
As you grow think about including more activities such as:
- Developing strategic direction, organisational structure and a high performance culture in the club
- Ensuring that strong strategic and annual planning processes are in place to produce effective plans which are directed towards the profitable growth and operation of the club
- Creating a strategic links to external agencies and representing the club to a wide range of interested parties
- Ensuring that succession planning is in place for all key roles in the club.
- Ensuring that all daily operations of the club are effective and efficient though the recruitment, line management training and succession planning of departmental staff
- Establishing appropriate structure for the Club and it’s management.
- Developing and maintaining effective strategic relationships with all key stakeholders in the club
- Ensuring that remuneration and other terms of employment are suitable and structured fairly for all employees
- Ensuring that the club observes the highest standards of corporate governance